Friday 28 March 2008

Battle scars..

I must say I have decided I really like Pucón even though it is quite the tourist type town and would fit in with any westernised country. It has a very relaxed feel to it (Ok, the peak season is over and so it is fairly quiet) and the surrounding scenery is very beautiful. Being the ´adventure capital´ of Chile it has a lot to offer but it has so much more. The thought did cross my mind of owning a nice property in a quiet valley not far away...

(I like the gum tree in the corner of this photo...)
Talking of valleys I got up to my usual, yesterday, of taking some random roads without a map. The country road was perfect, as was the weather. I found out afterwards that I was very close to the Argentinean border.

But, then the powerline I was following stopped but the road kept going - so I continued. The road soon deteriorated further becoming very steep as it followed the valley. I could see a good road hundreds of meters down in the bottom of the valley. Well, the scenery was awesome and so I continued expecting the two roads to meet somewhere...

I think they did but I didn´t find out. Going down a steep section (why don´t photos show how steep it really was??) which was followed by a sharp corner I lost the front wheel on the fist sized rocks. This road was becoming beyond my limits and probably the bike´s..

After getting the bike upright and picking up the pieces a man arrives on a horse. I find out the road is VERY long and joins up with the road at the bottom in Argentina (I think, but I could be wrong here). I get the impression that the road doesn´t improve so I make the decision to turn around.Showing off her undies....

Damage? nothing major, just a broken indicator and a few scratches down the side. Atleast it looks used now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce!!

I have been following your blog for a while and must say I am loving it!

You have a unique 'Bruce' style of reporting that National Geographic could never hope to mimic!

Keep up the good work!

Regards Neville

Bruce and Sarah said...

Oops!! Glad to hear it's your bike and not you with the battle scars :) Looking forward to the next update ...
Love Bruce, Sarah and Kiera
PS: Check out our blog to see our new patio Bruce built!! Lovin' it - you'll have to come round for a bbq now :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce. We all (the boys look often) enjoy looking at the updates to your blog. It really looks like you are enjoying yourself. Drive/ride safely. God bless. Henk, Leonie, and fam.

Unknown said...

Hi Bruce,
Just remember: in Chile NOTHING is far from the Argentinian border. The only country in the world that is 5000km long and 100 metres wide...
Glad to hear you emerged relatively unscathed from your bingle. Your opoe would say: Any damage to yourself will fix itself, but it's me that has to mend your clothes...
Thanks for the news and the pictures, keep it up.
Take care,
Aart