Tuesday 25 March 2008

Puerto Natales a Puerto Monnt

24th March


From Thursday Night to Monday morning I took the boat ´Evangelista´ from company Navimag. This is a cargo boat that has been fitted out for passengers as well. The trip took me from P. Natales to P. Monnt via the Patagonian Fiords so most of the time it was in pretty smooth water (thankfully as I don´t seem to hold up to well when the swell picks up..). Travelling at around 11 knots we covered some 2000km.

It was a very beautiful voyage. The mountains and islands plunge sharply into the water on either side with the vegetation clinging to the steep sides right to the water´s edge.

The mornings were all very still with patches of mist hugging the mountain sides and hanging above the water until the sun warmed the air.
On Sunday we were given nice blue skies and a slight wind pushing us along making it rather pleasant to hang around outside and soak it all in..


Yes, it was an interesting way to break up my motorcycle travel...


And now I am back right into it. Valdivia was a nice place to visit. It seems to be a very moist/wet area with lots of wetlands. I noticed a lot of tree plantations in the area - especially Eucalyptus trees. I read somewhere about a Papermill in the area that killed off some 5000 swans the other year - it is still running..
(Fishing village near Valdivia)
Chile seems very intent on making money but the environment seems to be taking a bit of a hammering..


Today I am in Pucón. It is a very nice place. Quite touristy though and not cheap. I am camping here for a few days and tomorrow I hope to climb the Volcano Villlarrica. It is still active...
If I don´t write anymore, maybe I fell in....
Chau.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! They remind me very much of the Inside Passage on the west coast of Canada. Same latitude, same climate, same topography.

paper mill - environment: now that Gunns has bought the government of Tasmania and owns most of the island, it looks like they're starting on Chile....

Cheers,
Aart