Wednesday 26 March 2008

Volcán Villarrica

Today I climbed the Volcano Villarrica which is near Pucón. This volcano is about 2800m above sea level with the top permanently iced up (unless it becomes really active I suppose...). Since you are not allowed to climb this mountain without permission and to get permission you need to show you have the correct gear and experience I opted to join a tour group with a guide. It meant I climbed it with a whole bunch of others. Actually not really a mountain to climb on your own unless you really know what you are doing.



In the morning the mountain was shrouded by clouds. Since there was little wind and the weather looked promising we left anyway and climbed up through the clouds. Volcan Villarrica boasts a ski field in winter which I think would be pretty good. The last major erruption took place in 1972.


Even got to wear a full set of crampons..

The last half hour or so of climbing was interesting with many of the rocks having big icicles hanging off them.Reaching the top of the cone we were greeted with the deep crater. It was much larger and the vent was cylindrical in shape going a long, long way down. So far in fact that I couldn´t see the bottom. The fumes were choking giving me an instant Asthma attack. My asthma has been nonexistant in South America and my Ventolin Inhaler was down at the bottom of the mountain. Fortunately I noticed someone with the same problem but she was better prepared... It was very hard to breathe up there, asthma or no asthma.Since I didn´t get to see red hot glowing lava as I hoped I contemplated jumping in but then I then I thought it be a bit of a problem leaving my motorbike stranded out here..The way back down was a lot of fun with a lot of sliding down the ice on our backsides. A numb bum was the result.. The very last bit of ice was the best as we slid down this steep crevasse to the bottom (no photo of this.). It was curvy like a bobsled run and I really got up some speed, forgetting to use my iceaxe at the end to slow me down...So, yeah, another great day in paradise...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce,
I have got to admit, your photos look pretty professional. They look like there are all straight off a postcard!

Anyway, keep enjoying yourself. We are all kind of awestruck by the magnificence of your photos.

Bruce, Sarah & Kiera