Monday 10 March 2008

Torres del Painé

Well, ofcourse, I loved Torres del Painé. It truly is a beautiful part of God´s Creation. You can only marvel at His handiworks. While it is never easy to choose what photos to upload onto this blog, after perusing the photos for this place, I found it extremely hard...

(I found out that this lake is actually green in the daytime..)

I completed the Classic ´W´circuit over 4 days. What I loved about this area was not only the beautiful mountains but also the variations in the vegetation, the colours, the rocks, the skies.. Looking back over my photos I realised how much I had seen.


I hooked up with a group doing the same walk on the first day - Rachel, Ilana and Chris from the ´States and John from the UK - which was an added bonus. It is always a lot more enjoyable walking and sharing with others and these four were great value - thanks guys. Torres del Painé is a very popular place and I can see why. What spun me out were the Refugios along the path, something I am not used to at all. Imagine doing a full day´s walk and then being able to sit in a dry, warm place and buy a beer - in the middle of nowhere. While sounding a bit ´soft´ we still took advantage of the situation.

Bruce, Rachel, Chris, John and Ilana


Las Torres. It was hard to make a photo to do them justice. (this was the clearest day we had as well, not that we let that get in the way)



Yes, the water was VERY cold..

The Refugio at Los Cuernos



Vallé Francés



Looking back down Valle Francés..
A Freindly Guanco


Glacier Grey
A favourite amongst all of us

I always think of the sky as God´s Easel. Beautiful and ever changing paintings.

The boat trip back to the beginning of the walk

I return to my bike and find two. Rather bizare..
Spot the differences..

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Not clever, Bruce, leaving your bike unattended in the wilds of southern Chile. Who knows what he'll get up to while you're not watching. You wait: somewhere on the Bolivia altiplano, a clutch of little 50 cc's will come rushing out to your bike, followed by a rather tired looking mama Suzuki: "Daddeeeeee!!!" Next thing you know you'll be paying minibike support on behalf of your errant Suzi...

Pictures of the Torres were fantastic. Feel any urge to climb them?
Cheers,
Aart

bruce said...

Hi Aart
Haha. Would be a bit of a worry. I will have to keep a tighter rein..

Somewhere in my panniers I did manage to squeeze in my climbing shoes. I haven´t actually used them yet but I do hope to. The Torres definitely have the name amongst climbers and I can understand why. It would be an awesome experience to climb. Will have to talk to Eric... Hehe.

Bruce.

Anonymous said...

lucky you've got 2 bikes now. by the time you leave colombia you won't have any...

Bruce and Sarah said...

The scenery is spectacular! Keep up the interesting blog and great pics.

HH said...

good one, aart!

Tim said...

Hey bruce
how ya going mate. it's been a while. the last time i saw you we were screaming over cattel grids on our way to exmouth. anyway i heard through the grapevine about your excelent adventures. looks like your having a great time. how far do you plan to go? if you end up in my end of canada your more than welcome to crash in the local bach pad.a.k.a our house. well keep the pic's comming i'll try to check them often Cheers
Tim Linde

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
The blogs are great to read and the pictures truely awesome. The glaciers appear to be especially spectacular.
Keep it coming...
Henk and Leonie and kids.

bruce said...

hey tim
and to think I was just thinking of you... I have been crossing many cattle grids out here too. Haven´t tried the no hands, no feet and jumping in the air as I cross them yet...
If i make it your way will have to see you. Cheers.