Monday 3 March 2008

To Paso del Viento





This walk has to be up there with my favourite walks.


A good mix of physical challenge, route finding and awesome scenery.


The walk (about 6 hours) to the campsite at Laguna Toro was fine where I spent the night. (Shared with the mice who gnawed a hole in my tent..). I met a few others (a german couple and a crazy belgium) who had the same idea as me so we left together the following morning.




The morning sun on the river from the lake from the glacier, near our campsite.


The walk/climb up to Paso del Viento took us all a bit by surprise. The map did say about 6.5hrs but we were sure it would be much less. Well it took us about 5 hrs, I think - still way longer than we thought.

What was involved:
Crossing a river using a tyrolean (like a flying fox). Just as well I had managed to borrow a harness other wise we would have been stuck.

Crossing the edge of a glacier.

Walking on the edge of a loose mountain side of rocks (when we were on the path..)

On the way there were a number of glaciers reaching up to mountains on our right.


On reaching the pass we were rewarded with awesome views of the Ice Field. Permanent ice streching in all directions as far as you can see. Our views were a little `obscured´ by the mountain to our left but the immensity of all that ice was mind boggling. This ice field (Hielo Campo) feeds all the major glaciers around here. (I read today that it is some 13000 square kilometres in area..)

From here we walked back to camp. I decided to pack up and leave for El Chatén which I did arriving back at around 11pm. A little late and very tired. It was a huge day. I wanted to be back because I had informed the rangers I would be back that day and I had left my bike with a bag locked to it out in the open and didn´t really want it out there for another night and I kind of like my helmet and riding clothes..


My last view of El Chaltén.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful and amazing. I would be too afraid to do it but it looks nice.

Anonymous said...

First look at your blog today Bruce and thought it was great. Some beaut photos and the video did the Suzuki proud - must be smooth because the video was pretty good. Stay safe. Warren V.

bruce said...

hi Warren
Good to hear from you.
I have been very impressed with the Suzi so far as it has handled everything I´ve thrown at it. A few screws have rattled out but nothing serious..

Anonymous said...

hi Bruce, looks like you are having a good time. photos are spectacular. look after you self. we just got back from tasmania God bless uncle john and anutie jo