Wednesday 5 March 2008

Chile

Yep.
I am in Chile. Crossed the border this afternoon which was a first for me with a motorcycle. Actually the process went quite smoothly with my fabulous spanish (hah). Basically you hand in your paperwork for your bike which they process and keep, you get your passport stamped (like normal). Then you hop back on your bike and ride into Chile. Then, after a couple kms you get to the Chilean customs (so for a few kms you are an illegal immigrant on an illegally imported mbike - ok, sort of. More like no mans land) where you get your passport stamped and new import papers for your bike. I checked them though I don´t really know what i´m looking for but it all looked alright - I expect it is.

Anyhow that´s it from me. I am heading out north to Torres del Paine now for a bit of hiking/ site seeing. It is about 160kms away and the reason why I have entered Chile in the first place. Did a bit of shopping. It cost me 13000 pesos... Not sure on the exchange rate here but I think it is around 500 to 1. Probably should find out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bruce,
Seeing this is the next best thing to being there.
Keep writing, we love your pictures and enjoy your commentary.
Really looking forward to the verticals of the Torres del Paine. Did you bring your rock-climbing gear?
Take care,
Aart

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
Thoroughly enjoying reading your blogs and looking at your great photos. Totally awesome! keep posting.
cioa,
gary k

Anonymous said...

Hi, the climbing been great so far this year..... though you might wish to know... love to be climbing where you are

kevin r