Tuesday 1 April 2008

Pelarco... and Santiago

Abril 1, martes.


Somehow I ended up at a motorcycle rally...





There I was, making my way nicely up to Santiago minding my own business when I was met by, literally, hundreds of motorclyclists going the other way. It seemed like everyone who owned a motorbike in Santiago was heading south.. I kept going North for about 60 more kms before my curiousity won out and I pulled over and asked a group who had stopped what was going on. Well, it sounded like an opportunity I didn´t want to miss so I got back on my bike and turned around and head back south..





What can I say?





Firstly, the Chilean hospitality was unbelievably welcoming. Everyone was very open, friendly and helpful. I sort of busted in on a group (the Comecaminos) and they unquestionally welcomed me with open arms, as a brother. My lasting impression will be of very friendly and generous people.





It was great looking at all the different motorcylces there and talking and sharing the passion that only a bikie would understand... What was also pleasing to see and experience was that I think all the different groups (I can´t call them gangs) were represented and I did not see one hint of `childish´ animostity amongst them (unlike what you read in the papers in Aus.). Sure, they had a few drinks but getting drunk didn´t seem to be general priority. An awesome expereience.



Here are a few shots of what happened/ some of the people I met...





A competition- how slow can you ride without puting a foot on the ground. The foreigner from Australia decided to enter for fun and made it into the finals without realising. He didn´t win but found it hard to melt into the crowds after that..



The next comp was crazy. A street lined with people, two bikes at one end racing eachother. First one to the middle wins. And then you just need to stop. Loosing control is out of the question. Needless to say I didn´t enter though once it started it did look tempting. Funnily enough Honda Goldwing beat a Yamaha R1 in the finals. That is one of those huge fat touring bikes that have two wheels instead of the 4 they seem to need beating one of the fastest road bikes around.. hmmm.

And how can you have a rally without a few burnouts?? Oh yes, the police here were very friendly and accomodating..So, where to after that? Why not the local fair? I managed try out a few local Chilean foods. (No, not the pumpkins above). I never went hungry as many people kept buying me food and drinks.After that, back to the camp grounds. More food and drinks. More talking. I met so many people, it was just great. Sleep didn´t seem to be a priority though.. Breakfast? Why not an Asado (BBQ)?Riding (back) up to Santiago ended up taking the rest of the day. On my own I probably would have covered it in a couple hours but it was a lot of fun. The bikes ranged from about 150cc and up so we sat on around 80kmh with lots of breaks.

After getting into Santiago I was given help to find a hotel for the night and parking for my bike. This actually proved to be quite a hassel. Especially the parking. After much running around and telephoning different people and waiting a couple of hours parking was found with the president of another club (thanks maxx) who happened to live close by in an apartment. I can´t say more for the Chilean hospitality I received. A memory I will keep forever.



And talking of hospitality it didn´t stop there. On the monday, in Santiago, I went to the mbike shop that was recommend to me where I bumped into Carlos. Actually I had never met him before. Well, he helped me practically all day, buying parts/oil etc for the service and taking me to a good mechanic. Went for a ride with him and his girlfriend up into the hills afterwards and then to his house for dinner. Ended up sleeping there (also solving the problem of mcycle parking). Imagine meeting someone on the street and then going out of your way and helping them all day... Selfishness doesn´t seem to be an attribute of the Chilean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More of "the adventures of uncle Bruce" - Emlyn and I enjoyed them, although he thought the photo of the burnouts was smelly. Sounds like you're having a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Veronica

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce, Tim here thought the burn out photo was the best!!!!!
Looks like you are having a good holiday. Regards, Henk, Leonie and family.

Anonymous said...

hey bruce look's good
bike show look's amazing. no russian roulette for you though eh.
ne way keep em comming.
Canadien Tim