Saturday 5 April 2008

Back in Argentina

Yes, I have crossed over the Andes back into Argentia to Mendoza. The road was awesome - good pavement with lots of curves. Great way to scrub in my new tyres.
Getting new tyres in Santiago was fun. I found this address on the internet of an international supplier of a certain tyre (Continentals) from Germany which I was very interested in buying. After riding around for a while trying to follow the directions of my roughly drawn map (there was a section of no map for a lot longer than I thought..) I found the street and the address. Bingo. But. It was a residential street. Hmmm. Something must be wrong. Well, I ring the bell just in case and I find that it is the right place (mototurismo). A bit of a back yard type business. I was very surprised by the range of accessories you could buy there - especially a lot of BMW aftermarket type parts. I ended up changing my mind about the tyres and bought a set of more road orientated tyres like my last set - they should last longer... Definitely excellent on the pavement.

The same day I went in search of a local luthier who makes musical instruments. When I was in Pelarco one of the stalls I visited sold Charangos which I thought were pretty cool. After inquiring about them and learning the price I was told not to buy it there but go direct to the luthier in Santiago. So I had a business card with an address and a mission to find the place. This part of Santiago was a poorer section and definitely not on my maps but I knew the road name and roughly the direction it was in so off I went. I found it and met Luis (who knew me from Pelarco..) . An interesting guy with a real love for music and musical instruments. He showed me lots of different types of instruments that he makes, not just limited to traditional South American ones including the one they use to charm snakes in india (sorry, don´t the name) and a rain stick from Africa. Anyway I bought this Charango from him. Basically it looks like a Ukeleli (however you spell it) but it has 10 strings not 4. The Sound body, neck and head are made completly from one piece of wood. However it is tuned very unlike a guitar and I have no idea how to play it. I don´t even know how I´m going to transport it on my bike.. Some how I will work out a way. I have been in Mendoza for a day or so. It is nice but I am not going to rave about it. Doesn´t help that I have not been feeling too well so haven´t really got up to much. Haven´t even gone to visit the famous wineries around here. Maybe I will see a few as I travel north. Yeah, I think I ate some nasty food from somwhere. Should go away soon.

Today I leave for San Juan in search of the Valley of the Moon.

2 comments:

Bruce and Sarah said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, so the adventures can continue!

Anonymous said...

hey hey brucey awsome blog so far just make sure its always good news. quite an activity your having out there, big world isn't it,. got permsiion from nynke tonight to go with you :D bit late though. had a south american meal tonight i followed the resipe but they eat way to much chilli over there, dreading tomorrow....
we both have enjoyed your photos too so far keep them coming.

Terry and Nynke vanderSchaaf