Friday 18 April 2008

Iquique


April 18th

Today I checked out the tax free zone here in Iquique. It is huge and you can buy almost anything here. I managed to pick up a new camera. I ended buying almost the same one as the one I bought before except it is the updated model so I now have a slightly ´better´ camera.

The ride to Iquique was great. The Atacama desert is all that. Very dry but more mountainous, unlike the deserts in Australia. Dropping off the plateau to the sea was a nice set of perfect curves (I´m talkn about roads here..) as was the ride up the coast to Iquique. A bit like the Great Ocean Road but then with no vegetation and hardly any cars. Perfect. It has been great to be near the ocean again too.

Tomorrow I plan to head off into the sticks and find a way into Bolivia. One map I have shows a Border Crossing that looks good but the other map I have doesn´t show it. Might just ride there and check it out...

No comments: