Wednesday 16 April 2008

Paso de Jama

Well, I am back in Chile. Right now I am in San Pedro de Atacama. Today I went over the Jama Pass from Punamarca in Argentina. The Jama Pass is 4600m high which is now the highest I have ever been on my motorcycle (actually that is quite a bit higher than any mountain I have climbed too.) The road was stunning as I have come to expect around here. It was pretty cold up the top on the altiplanos with ice on the side of the road in some places. I didn´t really notice the thinner air but it wasn´t like I was climbing a mountain...

I passed a traffic accident on the way. A truck carrying about 10 cars must have lost its brakes as it flipped onto its side and crashed into a corner on a hairpin bend. The whole truck was well and truly crushed with a few cars flung out the back. I don´t think any other cars were involved but it looked very messy. I didn´t stop because I didn´t think I´d be much use and nosy spectators aren´t needed. Makes you remember your mortality...

I´ve a had a slight change of plans. The reason I am not too proud of...
The other day in Salta I lost my camera. Now, this is the second camera on this trip. After writing on this blog last time and uploading a few photos I got distracted after printing off a few documents and talking to a friend. The camera was still connected but out of sight - and thus out of mind. I left the internet cafe and went out for dinner with another friend and didn´t miss my camera til on my way back to my Hostal. Needless to say when I returned to the Cafe it was gone. So I lost my camera and about half my photos. Idiot. That is all I can say about that..
Soooo, I need to get another camera. The prices in Salta were too much but I have found out that there is a place in Chile at the port of Iquique that has a tax free zone - cheap(er) electrical goods. This is out of my way but on the bright side I get to see more of the Atacama desert. I am now thinking of entering Bolivia further north than I first planned but still plan to get to the Salar at Uyuni. Just need to do a bit of research on which road to take into Bolivia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about your camera!! Berwyn suggests that you start a Camera Fund on micropledge.com - All that you need to do is start a project on it, link to it from your blog, and wait for the money to come in (from people's credit cards via paypal). Sounds like a great way for all of us "arm chair travellers" who are having a great time following your adventures to contribute to the fun.

Veronica.