Wednesday 20 February 2008

Lago Faulkner a Esquel

A couple nights ago I camped at a place called Lake Faulkner. It is in between Junin and San Martin de los Andes on the 7 Lakes Road (as it is often called). This is area (the lakes district) is truly beautiful. I have been blessed with fantastic weather.
Campsite right on the banks of Lago Faulkner.




Lake Faulkner




Oscar recommended Lake Faulkner as a nice place to stop and I´m glad he did (muchas gracias amigo!) . I only stayed one night but it was very beautiful, very tranquil. An awesome place for some time out- another place I´d like to return to someday. Actually the whole area is spectacular.
A view on the 7 Lakes Road to San Martin.









(I am waiting for money from CocaCola for this advert... A fuel stop)


Met some people on the way to Esquel who convinced me (not hard) that El Boson was worth visiting. El Boson is a bit of a hippie town (think Denmark and more all you west aussies..) amongst some jagged mountain peaks. The reason I stopped was because I was told that El Boson brew some really good beer. It is true! I sampled a couple ales from Otto Tipp and they were really, really good. Dare I say better than ´Little Creatures´ or our own homebrew?? Hmmm. Well, maybe. I don´t really know why but I left El Boson before dabbling into any other brews (Yes, I did spend the night there and no I didn´t drink, drive. Thankyou...).


(Actually I bet it had similar hops to what we use in our brew but it was less syrupy - crisper)


So now I am in Esquel some 200k further south. I am staying here for a few days since I have found a great camping ground (a bit like a big backyard and seems to have a good atmosphere) and the area was recommended to me by another traveller I met near Junin. I will explore tomorrow.

Chau.

Ps
Did you know that Argentina (maybe the rest of S America..) operate on the Siesta?? Don´t expect to get much done (well shopping anyway) between about 12 and 6.. It is light here til 10 though.

3 comments:

tintin said...

Hi Bruce... Wow you've got some awesome photos on your blog!! Sounds like you are having an awesome time!! :) Enjoy every moment of it! Here all is fine... a few more weeks and I am off to NL - Yay - cant wait :) For the rest school and uni are keeping me nice and busy! THe weather is beaut... yes your are missing our awesome summer!! Went to the beach today... going deep sea fishing with A on Sat!! Just hoping we dont get seasick :) Anyway take care - safe travels!!

Veronica said...

Had to get the atlas out a few times lately - thanks for extending my geography knowledge!! What a beautiful country! And how amazing that Someone who created such vast, awe-inspiring beauty would love such unlovely people like ourselves! What a contrast! Praise God for His mercy! And for His creative power!

Unknown said...

Hey Bruce,
Wonderful idea you setting up a blog.
Keep blogging, we'll keep looking.
Please make sure you visit the Torres Del Paine, and post some pics when you get there.
(Google Earth is even better than an atlas. And coming from a seriously compulsive atlas freak like me, that's saying something. The mountains come right out at you!!)
Enjoy yourself, keep safe, and may the Lord keep you in his care.