Monday 14 July 2008

Barraquilla

One of the last places I got to visit in Colombia was Barraquilla which I really enjoyed. Not because of the city per se but for the experience I had. Nothing to do with Motorcycles but none the less still very important to me.

I went there to visit Mara´s brother Faisal and his family who belong to the Presbyterian Reformed Church (I think that is the name..) there in Barranquilla. Arriving after dark and promptly riding into another dodgy area I managed to find them with help of a local who led me through some dismal streets to get there.

So for the weekend I was given some accomodation in the Church building which is really a house. Must say this is the first time I `ve parked in a church building under the photos of John Calvin and John Knox.

Although a small Church (30 members??) I found the people to be very active and over the last 10 years of existence they have established another church in Barranquilla and have another Church/mission post further along the coast. They have started a School (John Calvin School..) which works in a poorer area and are trying to get involved in Politics, amongst other things... This, over against a sincere and continual search for the truth found in God`s Word.

Spending time on Sunday going to their Church (in Spanish..) and then meeting with Faisal, his family and the Pastor and his family was a special time for me having many discussions and sharing experiences. It was interesting to find out that this Church wasn`t started from outside influences as such (eg mission work) but as a breakaway from a Baptist church after the first minister (and some of the founding members) started learning more about the Great Reformation and reading books by authors like Calvin and Kuyper. It was exciting to hear their thoughts, also on Reformed Education, and on how much we shared in common. Their enthusiasm was genuine and infectuous and their thirst for knowledge left me humbled and excited for their future.

I hoped to return the next Sunday and, as a teacher, I was (am) interested in learning more about their School but it was not too be (as you will read in the next installment). I hope that I will be able to keep up some contact with them in the future as it is very apparent that God is working here in Colombia.

No comments: