Monday 2 June 2008

Machu Picchu

What can I say?


Well, firstly, the road to Machu Picchu that I took was awesome. 200kms in 6 hours gives a little indication of the type of road it was, bearing in mind that two thirds were paved.. Absolutely brilliant scenery and a fabulous bit of civil engineering must go into putting these roads here. Even if I didn´t get to MP the roads there were worth it in itself. That is enough raving about the roads..




Do how did I get to MP? I didn´t take the train, per se, as most tourists or some form of trek but instead took the road. This route actually takes you around and past MPicchu and then you walk on the train tracks or take the short train ride (if you are lucky/slack). This is becoming the popular/ cheap way for the shoestring backpackers who take the local busses. But, ofcourse, I didn´t need to take any form of local transport as I have been taking my trusty steed with me. Everywhere.

Anyway the trip to Machu Picchu went like a clockwork, just like a preplanned tourist package. Just as I was about to begin the 10km walk to Agua CAlientes (base for MP) the one of two trains was about to leave... so I caught the train.



Machu Picchu itself was quite facinating. More amazing, for me, was not really the ruins but the unbelievable position of them. Right on top of some of the most inaccessable mountains you can imagine. Which was probably the whole point of a secret getaway... And the reason why it was hidden for so long.


Climbing the steep sided mountain of Waynu Picchu (that is the mountain in the background of a lot of MP Photos, including one here..) was definitely a highlight for me. The steep stone steps, the ruins and the view from the top create a lasting memory.




The trip back to Cusco went quite well. Sort of. I was starting to feel a bit off before I left. I got out of bed too late to catch the only morning train which was the plan anyway. However the two walk took more like 3 hours. Normally if I am unwell I won´t ride but this time I just wanted to get back to Cusco so off I went. Just ride a good steady pace as stay focussed was the plan. All was fine. Got to the top of the last pass (less cloud this time) and started the trip down. My fuel gauge went down from 2 bars to none in 10kms and then started cutting out around each hairpin band, taking longer and longer to start each time. Hmmm. Not good. Decided to roll the rest of the way down (proabably another 10kms) using the rest of the fuel to find a fuel station. Well I found one and was served by a capable 6 year old boy. He could barely get the fuel nozzle high enough to reach my tank (would have taken a photo if my camera wasn´t flat...). Filled up. But the poor boy had no change for me. hmmm. Off to the shop down the road to get change for a 50. Done and I was back on my way. The sun set as I took the last pass arriving back in Cusco in the night. Tired and fighting to focus, almost hitting a huge black cow that was being led across the road as I was coming down the mountain. Just as well I was riding with a larger margin of error than what I might have done.. Anyway got back and promptly fell into bed with a fever, chills, nusea, upset intestines and dizziness. And barely got up for the next 36hours. I was a bit worried as these symptoms point to diseases like malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever... but after a good sleep I was feeling a lot better. Thankfully. Just needed a good rest.
Anyhow back in Cusco...
Another fiesta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waynu Picchu was cool. fucking scary.. did you go up and down the same way.. there is a way down the back of the mountain that scared the shit out of me.. so not what I expected and hard as hell.. but worth it in the end.. even though i almost died a few times..
so you must of gotten a nice camera after yours got stolen.. cause you pictures are super cool