Wednesday 4 June 2008

Heading North..

Right now I am in this little town called Huanchaco, just north of Trujillo. Which don´t mean much to you. Suffice to say up on the north coast of Peru. Its a bit of a surf resort and I like the feel of the place. Might even stay a bit longer.


Met a few policemen lately. Which I was sort of expecting, given some of the stories I have heard.. However they were all pretty friendly. The first one did try to get some money from me. Reckons I was speeding. Which I probably was but still going slower than most people at that point. Anyway he was quite friendly just dropping a few hints every now and then about money and banks. I didn´t admit anything or offer money but just politely refused. This went on for a while until he gave up after I started to become a bit more adamant about doing nothing wrong and that I saw no need to pay a fine. Got pulled over 5 minutes later. They just wanted to know where I was going etc. Today a policeman kept hinting about needing to buy petrol for his car.. I told him I didn´t understand..

But it wouldn´t be fair just to mention these incidents as I have met many friendly and helpful police here in Peru. I have asked and received a lot of directions and advice from many of them. Most of the police are doing a great job out here.


Well I having been pushing up the Pan-Amercian highway along the coast of Peru and it really is a doddle to ride. 200kms up in the Andies is as much effort as 600kms or more down on this road. Almost feels like cheating. But. I need to keep moving North at a faster pace for a bit so the PAmerican it is.

I expected the coastal strip of Peru to be quite green and tropical. Instead it is rather arid..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! But have one Ducati it's better...:-)

Bruce and Sarah said...

Hi Bruce,
We've been lurking for a while, so thought it was time to leave a comment again! Glad to hear you got over your illness and are on the road again. Amazing scenery - but does look a bit arid on the last photo.
Here we are great - Bruce is going through the fun stage of exam marking at the moment. But has it down to a fine art, which would put any teacher to shame.
Take care, and talk to you again soon.
Sarah - on behalf of BSK!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
absolutely stunning photos. Just love the old ruins in the mountains you visited. That plane ride sounds like something else. Hopefully it won't put you off flying for long. Just noticed that im the 3500 visitor to this site. that is some kind of milestone. you offer prizes or anything on such an occassion, or only everytime it clocks over another 1000.?
anyway looks like a few people are enjoying your fotos and blogging.
cheers,gary k

bruce said...

sorry Gary. Only every 1000.
or 10000 or something. I forget..

Morro, Thanks for checking out my site. I love Ducatis but couldn´t go past the good deal I got for the Suzuki...

Bruce and Sarah said...

Hey Bruce,
Gotta keep up with Sarah with her comments. Keeping track of you on Google Earth. Pretty easy, just paste in a place like Huanchaco, and it takes me straight there. Looking at the map, you'd better get on your bike mate. you've got Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico and the US still...no, looks like your really enjoying that part of South America. Keep the awesome photos coming. Has anyone offered you money yet to write a book when you (if you) come home? otherwise, i could be the Google Earth expert and take a small commission..he he he.

All the best,
Bruce

bruce said...

put you on the list Bruce..
but, sorry not plannning a book. unless I work on getting kidnapped and escape and survive for a few months in the jungle with help of a group of monkeys or something, finding some long lost inca city while I am at it. or maybe a dinosaur. yeh, that would be cool.

Anonymous said...

hey.. just found your blog.. I had a good time in a Small town there really close called Mancora.. very cheap and nice beach.. very arrid and dry on the coast there.. much different in Ecuador.. but like you i didnt spend too much time in Ecuador.. didnt really like quito a ton. but told the coast is much better