Sunday 22 June 2008

Colombia

Colombia has lived up to my expectations as a beautiful place filled with very friendly and helpful people.

(Stayed in this house. Randy, a local and a fellow motorcycle traveller invited me over for a couple days. A super friendly and helpful type of bloke)


Most of my time, so far, has been spent in Cali where I got some work done to my motorbike. It was great finding this slick Suzuki Store in the middle of Cali with all the lastest. Bit of a change to what I have become used to. The Vstrom (that´s the type of Bike I have..) is quite a popular bike over here (well, that´s if you have a bit of spare cash ofcourse, most bikes here are the normal 150cc jobs) so I was quite confident in getting the parts I needed, and a good service (and a good wash..).
href="http://bp3.blogger.com/_VyaW8FdRR0w/SF7w5bUuFrI/AAAAAAAAAjo/Sd7kXtvsTag/s1600-h/DSC00474.JPG">

The workshop was one of the smartest I have ever come across and I would have quite happily have eaten my lunch off it, well maybe. So, finally, since Bolivia, I now have a complete front brake lever to use.. got a `new´ secondhand front wheel (though I don´t think it fixed the vibration problem completely..), and some TLC (the bike not me) so all is good in the life of the bike that belongs to Bruce.....

Well almost. The footpeg, which was welded up in Bolivia, decided to break off so it looks like I´ll be looking around for a new one here in Bogotá.

The trip from Calí to Bogotá was pretty interesting.. Part of the trip took me over a mountain pass. Nothing new there. But the amount of trucks on the curvy road - hundreds.. And then it started to rain, no, really pour down.. And then the mountain sides started to slip down onto the road.. Yeah, it was fun. But extremely slow.


Which made me not make it to Bogotá in one day.. So I stayed in a little town called La Mesa. Nice place with a genuine friendly feel to it. I quite liked it. I befriended a young policeman who was eager to practise his english, who also helped me find a hotel for the night. The next morning I met this guy.
href="http://bp3.blogger.com/_VyaW8FdRR0w/SF7w5NTPfqI/AAAAAAAAAjg/2Nimshv1Qvw/s1600-h/DSC00478.JPG">
Had a good ol yarn about all sorts of things while he fed me coffee with a good tot of rum (yeah, that was my breakfast..). He used to be a proffesor at a university teaching law, atleast I think I got that right. He didn´t speak english but kindly spoke very slowly and clearly in spanish which helped a lot. Almost stayed longer but decided to move on to Bogotá.


Getting lost coming into a new city has become a bit of a hbit for me, as has finding dodgy areas. This time I managed to score a shot of scotch (hmm, that is twice in one day..) from a bunch of guys sheltering from the rain. Their directions weren´t too bad either. Dodgy, inadequate maps from the Lonely Planet Guide Book don´t really suffice a motorcyce journey..

6 comments:

Bruce and Sarah said...

Hey Bruce, we need some of those shots of scotch here right now! Have had some very cold nights, down to 2 or 3 degrees. On top of that we are supposed to be conserving our use of electricity due to a gas explosion up north! Work that one out!! Nice and sunny during the day, though, so that gives us a bit of a chance to thaw out before the cold sets in again at 5pm! Have another shot of scotch for us. Take care. BSK.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce, It is good to see that your motorbike is fixed again. We suppose that you will be able to go a few more miles now. . . The country looks absolutely beautiful. Ryan was wondering how many kms you have on your odometer. We are planning to go to Albany on the weekend for Dad's birthday. Should be good. Love, Henk and Leonie and kids.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce

Nice Blog and nice trip too.

I was looking your email for give you some advices in Colombia but I can't find it. Do you have a contact email?

Cheers!

bruce said...

Hi Julian
Thanks. I´ve added my email address in the bar on the side of this blog.

Anonymous said...

hi bruce i saw you last night at the bking´s launch...welcome to Colombia if you ever have any problem check www.potencialimite.com is the biggest Bike Club in Colombia, sure youll get all help you need...just Ask for me (Astroboy)

Anonymous said...

oh Bruce i forgot check this out: one of our fellow bikers found you on the road and told us...to help you in anything you need.

http://potencialimite.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=78&topic=10077.0