Monday 28 January 2008

Carnaval de Gualeguaychu...








It is raining here in Buenos Aires. The first real rain I've seen here.

I've finished my Spanish Classes for the day and have a bit of time to write...




I'm trying to think of how to describe what has been happening over here and am having a bit of a mind blank but definitely never a dull moment. Every day always seems to be full to over flowing. I am not complaining and 'enjoying the ride' - although the 'ride' so far still doesn't include a bike.. :-(


I have been spending quite a lot of time with a number of friends from Xpanish (my Spanish school) - city tours (BA certainly has an interesting history), going out for a lunch/ dinner/ a few drinks - any excuse. We are a bit of an international (well English speaking anywy) bunch with Australians, English, Americans and even a Canadian.

This 'fellowship' culminated with a weekend in Gualeguachu. 'Crazy' is the first word that comes to mind. Carnaval de Gualeguaychu was mentioned on Thursday and an impulsive decision was made to go, leaving on Friday afternoon for the Saturday night carnaval. Four of us decided to hire a car while the three girls arrived on Saturday by bus.

Mike, Elaine, Me, Christina, Steve, Jessica

James Jess Errr..


Guealeguachu is a city of around 70000 people with up to around 30000 extra people on weekends during Carnaval season. It is about 200kms north of BA near the border of Uruguay. I loved the feel of the place and enjoyed being the only English speaking tourists there (I'm sure there were some but we never met any).



The Carnaval itself didn't really get started til late at night (nothing new there..) and didn't finish until the wee hours of the morning (nothing new there either..). Very hard to describe but a ton of fun. Loud, bizzare, crazy. Ofcourse I have read about Carnavals before but it was great to experience one first hand.






Sunday was spent resting and returning back to Buenos Aires...








So now I'm back here. My bike is supposed to be here from Australia but it still hasn't arrived - well I haven't heard anything. I plan to give the company in Perth a ring tonight since they didn't respond to my last email. I'm not really too worried yet but I am starting to get itchy feet and just want to get out and start riding through some open country - just me, my bike, Gods wonderful creation and the local people...








Anyway, gotta go.



Got people to meet for coffee..

No comments: