Thursday 4 September 2008

Last Days..

Smithers ended up being the ‘end of the road’ for me are far as this motorcycle trip went. – and an excellent time I had there too!! After pushing it all the way from Southern Mexico I was looking forward to a bit of a rest but upon reaching here I decided that resting would be a bit of a waste of time.
I got to meet up with a lot more relatives than I knew existed up here. It was awesome after 7 months on the road to meet with people I knew or knew of. I immediately felt like one of the family and I was soon rushed away for fishing trips, hiking and extreme coffee drinking episodes..

After extending my ticket and staying for an extra week I still wasn’t really ready to leave but, as they say, all good things must come to an end. Plus I still had other things to do/ commitments to fulfil...

(Uncle) Peter and Molly were fantastic hosts and I couldn’t have asked for better attention – Thanks a lot again, you have given me some special memories that I will treasure. After travelling so long it was great to have a place that felt like home – really. Excellent food, company, conversations… and the odd rye in between..

Not only did I get to meet up with a lot of people I also managed to nip off for a couple days with a few friends – to Alaska!! Just. If you look at a map, and it has the small town of Smithers on it, you might be able to see that there is a strip of land that belongs to Alaska that gets very close – about 4 hrs drive. Too close not to go.

So it was off to Hyden to see the glaciers and the odd Grizzly bear fishing for a Salmon. The trip was done with my cousin Richard from good old Australia and Dina, from Switzerland, a friend of Carl and Jenny’s (another uncle and aunt..), who didn’t realise what she was getting into, hanging around with us, poor girl… :-)

We got to see a couple Grizzlies at Fish Creek. I was impressed by how they could move – so softly and carefully while stalking a fish and then unleashing that enormous power as they run and leap for their prey. Beautiful animals but I think I will skip on the bear hug..
A Bear Bum, as promised.....

Seeing the glaciers in the North were an excellent finish after the glaciers in the South, so many months before, tying the beginning with the end.

Good times. Even better memories…


After this trip it was a bit of a rush to get the bike crated up and ready to transport. I decided to leave the bike in Smithers, giving me more time to organise transport (plus, since I will be in Papua New Guinea for the rest of the year I won’t need it til after that anyhow..). Maybe I will just leave it there and return one day (soonish) jump in the saddle and keep travelling…. Alaska, Russia, Mongolia… hmmmmm.
Now THAT sounds like a good idea.

No comments: