Friday 1 August 2008

Guatemala - Semuc Champey



I really didn´t have the time but, I admit it, I am a bit of a procrastinator and the only deadline I have to break (but really can`t) is getting to Canada on time...



So I took a detour to check out Semuc Champey. A day detour that ended up taking 3..


Semuc Champey is renowned for its blue stepped pools at the bottom of a steep valley in the Guatemalan highlands. What is unique about this place is that the river, which is murky with sediments, flows underground through a cave for some 300metres. Above the underground river water seeps from the surounding valley producing perfectly clear pools of water. One of the best swimming holes I have been in. Period.






Swimming here brought on thoughts of Paradise. Though no `Eve´ around...


I thought the ride back would take a couple hours. Took a full day and a bit more. Not having much more than a mud map doesn´t help I suppose. (Of course I didn`t take a wrong turn.) Nor does waiting for roadworks to clear a few landslides..
But it was very enjoyable nether the less.
Made it to Antigua... and met Brad and Jola who I left behind in Nicaragua!!

No comments: